PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Device found in Virgin Blue plane hold
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2004, 00:19
TIMMEEEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icarus 2001.

Yes you are partially correct in my assessment of the situation, but credit where credit is due.
If VB didnt stuff up in such a huge way I wouldnt be on here criticising their actions or lack thereof.

This was a paramount stuff up of epic proportions.
It also showed a total lack of leadership from VB management in neglecting to provide the adequate training to their staff/contractors.
It is incumbent upon VB to provide that training and to provide a duty of care to not only staff but also passengers that were clearly put at risk needlessly.
To quote you Icarus,

As for baggage handlers carrying a bag to the terminal for Xray. Think about the logic here, they carry hundreds of bags to the terminal every day. Loose bags, boxes and packages often show up on the carousel. What would cause them to think this knotted bag was any different?
The fact is that the object was made to look like what it was - an explosive device.

This was obviously a suspicious object.
To top it all off Icarus 2001 it didnt have any consignment note attached or accompanying paperwork which would make even a layman wondering what an obviously exposed sparkler is doing attached at one end of a suspicious article??????

Throw me a frigging bone Icarus!!!

Having a background in chemistry I can tell you that the substance inside, thermite, would have burned through the fuselage with the greatest of ease looking at the melting point of aluminium.
If for whatever reason it was to ignite, the results would have been disastrous to say the least, but officials wont come straight out and say that.
It also would have caused a fire incinerating whatever else was in the hold if ignited.

The aircraft structure would have melted as surely as did the wax on the wings of both Icarus and Deadalus in greek mythology.

To quote one paper it turns out that some of VB's contract staff are working airside without proper ASIC cards which are now a mandatory requirement.
VB could be find alot of money for multiple breaches if true.

Yes, VB were negligent in terms of lack of training of staff.
Even you cannot deny this Icarus.
The sad fact is that nobody in VB will admit fault or take blame.

To quote todays Telegraph in Sydney,

The issue was the subject of heated discussions across the aviation and law enforcement industry yesterday. The Daily Telegraph has learned:

WORKCOVER will today serve Virgin Blue airlines with formal written notice to immediately train staff on handling potential bombs threats, or face prosecution;
No airline is perfect and they all make mistakes, but when its done on such a grand scale with such a litany of mistakes exposed and stupidity exercised then even blind freddy must sit up and start asking themselves a few questions.

Interesting to see how Brett Godfrey covers his arse on the one.

Last edited by TIMMEEEE; 26th Sep 2004 at 00:13.