PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120 Rolls in Durban
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 14:38
francois marais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bert, how you're doing over there in Vegas?

I have had so many discussions with people around this thread, people who have called me about legal issues regarding the CAA etc, and now I'm going to say my piece.....

Bert, there are a number of organisations that represent pilots here in SA. The Airlines have ALPA, the commercial operators, both Airplane & helicopter, have the Commercial Aviation Association etc. All these organisations, from time to time, have made representations to the SACAA regarding various issues concerning aviation, crew and the SACAA.

Generally, the SACAA will not respond timeously to letters, their staff lie through their front teeth, they make promises which they can't keep and 95% of the SACAA staff AGREE that the organisation is f d. 40% of white staff have left, and very shortly they will lose some more very competent people due to politics, backbiting and huge racial disagreements. Now my dear friends, THIS IS THE ORGANISATION that must regulate aviation in this country????? I ask you???

Minister Radebe should fire the CAA Board and some of the utterly useless idividuals there.

And my friends, should you dare critisize them or take them on, you will be in for a big surprise. You will be ostracised, persecuted and prosecuted. They will find reasons to bite your butt. Its a shame that some of these guys are so unprofessional, and childish. Its also true that some of these people, who are the biggest whiners in the SACAA, have less backbone than a newly born slug.

With regards to this incident in Durban, what I know about it is what I read on this thread. It is clear that the SACAA official in this case, took some bold steps, and at the end of the day, only that official can give the answers to the questions posted here. Its a shame that he has'nt. Its also a shame that Eurocopter has decided not to participate in this discussion, as to date nothing has been forthcoming from them.

I won't be surprised if I get nailed by the SACAA for writing this piece, but I'm not a "gatkruiper", and neither am I afraid to make them aware of their shortcomings, of which they have many at this time. This is supposedly a free & fair democracy, where freedom of speech and opinion is not supposed to be a jailable offence. So guys, if I end up in the bin, will you come and bail me out?