PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dump the IMC
Thread: Dump the IMC
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2000, 01:15
'I' in the sky

Can't see the point in dumping it, but I think the most dangerous thing about it is the philosophy that it is there 'to get you out of trouble, but you should never plan to fly IMC '

The only IMC flight you should ever undertake is that which is properly planned.No a low time pilot should not fly point to point, single engine in bad conditions, at an altitude low enough to keep him below all the CAS, that is asking for CFIT. But when proper planning reveals that the weather at the destination of your VFR flight is forecast to be marginal or even definitely IMC ? What is then wrong with properly planning the trip, preparing for the possibility of a hold and procedure at the other end,and no surprises when you get there. Well apparantly that is 'planning' to fly IMC with an IMC rating which apparantly you should never ever do.

Dare I suggest that someone who hae been caught out is already behind the game and probably in the worst possible position to start locating IAF's, working out hold entries, minimums etc

That very well worn phrase " The imc rating is there to get you out of trouble but you should never plan to use it" it probably one of the most misused and irresponsible sayings I've heard in flying and it makes me cringe the number of times I hear it.

That said, properly used, the IMC rating is very useful, and should stay - properly taught.