PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The state of aviation
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2004, 12:19
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. GA is not as expensive as you think compared to the alternatives. I am sick of driving 300k each way to a hobby farm each weekend. Air is a cheaper and better mode for me provided the weather is good.

2. The Europeans are sticking it to the Americans - with new technology like diesels, composites and avionics (GPS) we might actually see some competition and LOWER prices. I don't think it is expensive today, and its only going to get cheaper.

3. New technology means that I can operate a sophisticated aircraft from grass fields. If the price of YMMB gets too high, well stuff 'em. Lilydale. Coldstream or Pt.Cook it will be.

4. There are newer and better destinations for GA. Once people get used to the idea. Why do I need a holiday house 3 hours by road from Melbourne? Why don't I go two hours by air? What about going to Escott Cattle Station (top spot) for a week? Sooner rather than later the public is going to wake up to the options GA gives them.

Sorry for the incoherent ramblings, but I am an optimist..
Welcome to my world! the world of the RAA! my $40,000 Composite kit aircraft cruises at 145 KTS! lands at 50Kts! carries 2 people and 1000Lbs with an endurance of 4 hrs! powered by a Volkswagen engine, and with a upgrades to a fully digital FMC. all built and designed In OZ! ahhh, the freedom without CASA.

apart from that, i agree with all above! the downhill spiral all begun with the "user pays" system. and bad press from Uneducated news reporters!, what we need is regular government funding, for our Infrastructure Indusrty, just like the RTA etc, and flight training made available to High school students! as an option on their syllabus.