PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster/Finningley (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2004, 11:47
garethjk22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
To answer some of the points above.

The trench is for new AGL lighting, as the old RAF was not to commercial standard, and needed replacing anyway.
Approach lighting is been added at both ends of the runway, and the runway will be painted with commercial runway markings, thresholds, TDZ's etc etc. Threshold at 02 end will be displaced due to rising ground to the west of the field (as I understand?!)

Trenches accross the runway are to provide services around the airfield such as water, electicity, and drainage.

ILS will operate on runway 20 only initially, but this will change as the operational needs of the airport become more apparant following the airport opening, all future proofs are included for this expansion(!) Runway 20 is preferred landing runway (and will be used even with a slight tailwind), with 02 the preferred departure runway. This is noise related.

The airport will have 8 terminal contact stands 4 x 767 and 4 x 737 (4 x code D, 4 x code C). 747's can park accross 2 stands.

At least 3 stands will be served by gate bridges (not air bridges) but for those who have visited liverpool, the gate bridges which drop you at the head of stand will be used. Again, if an airbridge requirment is realised, they can be added as necessary.

Remote parking is in abundance, and it is likely any frieghter aircraft will park remote to the terminal, as the transit shed will be in what was originally hangar 1.

Information is scarce at the moment in fairness, however a new website will be launched by the end of the year in preparation for the airport opening in March 05.

Any more for any more? Hope the above is of some use, and the above is correct, I can assure you I know!

Brgds

GJK22