PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What does a Captain expect from a FO?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2004, 14:54
tu chan go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealzebub,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to put into words what many CRM courses fail to get across. Although I am not a civil pilot, I feel that your words of advice can be carried across to many different areas.

I have been a military, fast-jet pilot for going on 26 years and I am now in the training world (a job that I love). I try to instil in my students many of the attitudes that you have spoken of. Change 'Captain' to 'Formation Leader' and 'FO' to'Wingman' and the principles are the same. Equally 'Squadron Commander' and 'Flight Commanders' or 'Flight Commanders' and 'Junior Officers'.

What you have given us, in the fewest words possible (IMHO) is a pattern for LEADERSHIP - where both the superior and the subordinate respect each other and do their best to get the job done. The best boss I ever had was hard but fair - the worst thing about making mistakes or scr**ing up was the feeling that you had let him down. No harsh words were needed. The worst boss was one who bo**ocked you BEFORE you had made a mess of things. No respect in either direction.

I used to be an instructor on a multi-national leadership course and I used to tell the participants that the best leader is one who makes his boys WANT to do well for him. Not through fear but safe in the knowledge that even if your solution is not the best one, it is the best one you could come up with and that was good enough for him.

Once again, thanks for your contribution. I am considering printing it off and making my students read it to enhance their learning experience.

(By the way, we military pilots are not all like LF!! In fact, he would not do very well on my squadron either!)