PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 19th Sep 2004, 22:34
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G.D & L'd.

I've been commercial flying for 30 years. It started with a tremendous diversity of G/A jobs, from aerobatic airshows, crop spraying, air-taxiing & biz jets, before airline opportunities became available. When thet did, the attraction was obvious. After 25 years of that gravy train I've discovered the closeness to the birds you envy. It ain't at 37000'. It's at more humble heights beneath a paraglider. I've soarded with eagles and drifted with buzzards. I've climbed upto cloud base and played amongst the thermals. I've travelled at the breakneck speed of 20kts to a place I knew not where, until the lift denied me further flight. To look down, from 10.000', sitting in your harness, and see nothing beneath you until terra firma, is a true flier's dream. It was my choice to go there, my choice to take off and my effort to stay aloft. The thrill is immeasurable. I commend it to anyone who claims to be a dream flyer.