PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAR/JAR Part 25 Transport Aircraft Performance Training Manuals
Old 19th Sep 2004, 18:07
richjb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was fairly confidient that Boeing would not sell me their manual. I need to search Amazon or Ebay to see if they have a copy.

The professional airline performance engineers would very supprised about how little the business jet pilot knows about performance or how it is taught in training schools.

For example, few pilots (US FAR 91 or 135) are aware of their OEI net takeoff flight path obstacle clearance requirements. Pilots are taught (routinely I might add!) to apply the OEI net 2nd segment climb gradient to the TERPS or PANS-OPS SID ft/nm climb gradient to ensure takeoff obstacle clearance. If you were to ask pilots what are FAA approved/accepted obstacle data sources, you'd get a blank stare back. Fewer pilot know the two methods methods use to meet OEI enroute clearance requirements. These pilots do not have performance engineering departments to fall back on. They must performance all performance calculations themselves prior to departure.

These topics are not taught in pilot performance training courses, nor are they covered in performance planning doucments provided by the manufacturer (business jets like Lear, Falcon, Hawker etc.) No manufacturer publishes a book similar to Airbus's "Getting to Grips with Performance". Therefore, no one's quite sure what they are to to with the charts contained in the AFM.

I'm a realitive new-commer compared to many of the people on this forum. I'm here to learn from you folks and increase my knowledge of the subject so I can pass it along to my fellow biz-jet pilots.

Take care and thanks,

Rich Boll