PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120 Rolls in Durban
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2004, 09:10
clipboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has attracted a lot of attention, pilots have talked a lot about this, and I have had a few calls as well.

You will not hear from Eurocopter SA, that I can assure you. South African pilots have on numerous occassions been slated on this forum by the rest of the world, on issues relating to the operation of the Bell 407, and now its going to be on the EC 120.

Eurocopter SA will sell you a helicopter, promise you the world, and once the money is in the bank and you've taken the helicopter, then the carnival is pretty much over. Who trains you, who insures you, and what you do with your helicopter is none of their business.

Bear in mind that a number of owners have gone to the factory to do a "factory course". Not everyone flying the EC 120 though, has had that privelage.

Only one SACAA DE has done the course, and he has converted a number of pilots onto the EC 120, and as I previously posted, was very thorough and efficient.

What I fail to understand now, is why the 3 "old boys" in Durban has had their instructor ratings pulled by the SACAA. I mean, these guys have been flying for yonks, and are surely not idiots, and do have a lot of experience?

My understanding of this whole mess is that the licenses have been pulled because these boys do not understand the diference between a Tail rotor and a fenestron, especially relating to tail rotor or fenestron failures, and until such time that they can prove to the SACAA that they know this difference, they cannot have instructor ratings. Harsh, but apparently true. If these boys can prove to the CAA that they understand the Feneron concept and all that goes along with it, function, failure and remedy, then all is forgiven and they can have their licenses back.

Man, if this is true, then I'm really concerned about the standard of training, the demeanour of the SACAA and aviating in Eurocopter products here in SA in the future.

Come on Eurocopter, talk to the boys, and please ask our friendly CAA DE Mr. Broberg to post his comments.