PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 15th Sep 2004, 16:35
BigMike

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Trained with PHS in Coolangatta, worked bloody hard as a slave in the hangar at their Melbourne base, was given a job flying a 206 at the Rock 8 months latter. Seems along time ago now!There is very few operators who will let low hour guys (97 in my case - had a FW PPL) fly a Jet-ranger. Does everyone get a chance to go up there, of course not. You get out of it what you put in. I always found them to be generally fair in giving the jobs to those that worked the hardest (even if that was gardning at Ron's place!).
I have also heard that the Helicopter Group next door in Melbourne is good, and they have an operation in Central Australia as well, and will send new guys there.
If you are looking for a start up north chasing cattle, I was told early on that Graeme Gillies at Blue Tonque was the best man to see. There are other good schools I'm sure.
Just like anywhere, the guys who work the hardest and put up with the most crap usually get the start. Always been that way, always will be.

Cheers BigMike