PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANSETT....what made it a GREAT airline?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2004, 10:01
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Yes TNO, the blood still pumps strongly on both sides of the pilot group, in many, when mention of "that year" is made.
Obviously with you too, as it seems to solicit a response from you, albeit from a slightly different perspective.
Vive la difference!
In the entire history of Ansett it was undoubtedly the second biggest "shake-up" for the Company, following the coup by the Murdoch/Abeles partnership that sabotaged Sir Reg's plans to "appoint" an heir apparent (Sir Charles Court from W.A., wasn't it?).

It broke poor old Reggie's heart, to see those two vultures wrest control from him.

So YOU were indeed fortunate, TNO, to be allowed what was formerly the accepted norm - to have your union negotiate on your behalf:
My salary increases were negotiated by the ATOF(Airlines Division), which became the ASU(Airlines Division),
....Abeles, Murdoch & Hawke, decided in "that year", that THAT was not to be the norm, starting with us.
Have you noticed how widespread "individual contracts" have since become?
(Does the "Who will be next" A4 mean ANYTHING AT ALL to you yet?).

Annual leave was 6 weeks for us - we are also shift workers, providing a service 24-7-365 (unlike the Philippines, where the entire airline shuts down on XMAS Day ).
That 6 weeks is comprised of the usual 4 weeks, + 1 day for each Public Holiday....total of 42 days.
However, most workers in Oz fare FAR, FAR better off - as am I, now.
Because, although I receive only 30 days A/L per year, I can take these 30 days in splits, and combine them with my monthly "Off" days.
In the Ansett of old, you didn't receive an extra credit for the "Off" days, in the month in which the "Vacation" days were taken, eg, if I were to take the entire month of September as "Vacation", then I lost 30 days - EVERY other worker has his standard "Off" days deducted from his "Vacation" days, which means he loses only 20-22 days.
My guess is YOU fell into that latter category, TNO?

And back to FQ2 - yes, "Sleet", that was his nickname - I'm certain that TNO must have known him (being from the same tiny island!! )