PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - effect of foreign pilots on the jobmarket?
Old 12th Sep 2004, 18:45
747 Downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been watching this post evolve over the last fortnight or so with great anticipation, watching the " two sides" bat it out!

I think it is fair to say that there clearly are proportionately more foreign pilots working for UK based carriers than there are reciprocated.. c'est la vie, irrespective of whether they are antipodians, continentals or others. Clearly Commonwelath pilots should have more rights to work in the UK first, but that is surely another thread.

It appears to me that your average Johnny Foreigner will have a better understanding of the English language than Dagenham Dave would have of any langauge other than English. However, it is imperative that these 'foreigners' so to speak have an understanding of English anyway, whereas lets be honest if you can find a flying job in the UK bo11ox to bothering to learn another language... perhaps that is our (BRITISH) fatal flaw, or maybe just mine!

I too complain of the lack of standardisation of foreign aircrew recruitment, but with respect to Europe, it is the fault of JAR. It is weak, just like its bigger brother if you like, the EU. It stands for nothing.. we abide by the ANO, not JAROPS, the ANO is legally binding and that's that, this is why the French et al get away with there contradictory practices.

But am I angry with the foreign pilots working in the UK? Air France? BA? NO!
It is intrinsically a fault within our government for being weak.. you see it in aviation, European politics, control of national borders etc etc etc (I could bore u lot if I went on any further and I probably already am!)

BLAIM the Government: I hear so many Britsh pilots of all ages moaning about these issues but there only a few answers to the dilemma.

1) Put up with it
2) Go abroad, if u can, and then... stay there
3) Leave aviation permanently
4) Or vote the government out, stay cool and be patient for that elusive flying job in the finest imperialistic country ever to live.. yes it may be full or criminals, high taxes, sh1t transport, crappy laws, but it's BRITISH and you're still here and u know it!