PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus to roll out plans for new plane
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2004, 14:33
Torquelink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panda

I knew, when I wrote my previous post that someone would raise the question of the 777-200LR! But, insofar as my argument is concerned, I regard the -200LR as a shrink of the -300ER rather than as a development of the -200ER just as the A345 is a shrink of the A346 rather than a development of the A343 - and shrinks never sell well (it's my argument so I can make up the rules as I go along!).

Cejkovice

While I accept that the 7E7 is Boeing's response to the A332, I'd argue that it's more than "only just a bit different". If Boeing are to be believed it has a wider fuselage, larger windows, lower structural weight, more efficient engines, all-electric, virtually zero heavy maintenance visits etc etc plus the greater range. On the other hand, the A332 does have more seats and I'm sure that Boeing's 20% smc reduction is being compared to the 763 rather than the A332. As Wino says, if Airbus weren't worried about it, they wouldn't be talking openly about the effective replacement of a model which has only been in service for six years.