PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent Help Needed - A 35-year old planning a Career Change
Old 9th Sep 2004, 22:30
Straightandlevel80kt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow down!

Gary

I have three things to say:

1) Slow down
2) Slow down
3) Slow down

This sort of dilemma has been covered a thousand times on here.

Forget medicals and airline careers for now, and don't quit your day job.

The very first thing you need to do is get down to your local windswept airfield and have a few lessons in a clapped out old Cessna 152, to see if you like flying.

Don't underestimate the value of taking your time to do your PPL. You will learn much more and gain valuable experience - not least of different weather conditions - by doing it over the course of 6 months to a year. And most importantly, a PPL should be, and is, enormous fun when you just relax and take your time.

Get to know your instructor(s), have lots of chats with them and people at your club and you'll really start to get a flavour for the industry, different training routes and options, and become a miserable old cynic like the rest of us! :-)

I think you asked if you were being naive (sorry if I've confused you with someone else!). With respect, you sound as though you did what I and countless others have done, and got swept along with the hurried sales patter of those who will gladly part you with your cash.

Whether you choose to ignore the above or not, my advice is stay in the UK, fly from a club/ school near London and in the long term go modular.

All the best, whatever you decide.