PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent Help Needed - A 35-year old planning a Career Change
Old 7th Sep 2004, 19:23
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid thirties

Gary,

I gave up full time work at 33 to pursue the dream, signed up at OATS for integrated training and am now doing the IR/twin flying. I'd agree with much of the advice given above and choosing your route modular or integrated comes down to personal choice with pro's and cons to both approaches.

I think it's particularly worth emphasizing that your partner will be suffering alongside you every step of the way and you must ensure you are both fully prepared to accept the dramatic changes in your life this course will engender. I have never known any course be so all consuming, demanding, frustrating and exhausting. It is an absolute rollercoaster ride of highs and lows and I think all of us go through moments when we long to be back behind a desk being well paid in our old career not worrying about the next set of crucial tests. If you go into this expecting the worst you won't be disappointed. It's particularly difficult I think for older chaps who have previously reached a certain level of respect and capability in their previous career to suddenly feel incompetent again as they try their hand at something completely new - and there's seemingly something completely new every day especially in the flying phases!

Not trying to put you off, but an Aer Lingus FO once said to me 'it's a fantastic year I would never ever want to have to repeat again' which I think sums up the way I feel about it!

Whatever you decide, good luck - you'll enjoy the flying when it goes well and hate it when you're not on top of it.

Best wishes,

Desk-pilot