PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent Help Needed - A 35-year old planning a Career Change
Old 7th Sep 2004, 11:29
Gillespie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, I'd definately go down the modular route and still try and stick to the 18month(ish) time frame.

Also (just a suggestion) don't give in to the major schools' marketing campaigns. Yeah they print nice glossy brochures but do they have a good instructor to student ratio? are they one of course that 'apparently' seem to prioritise their students giving preference to those that are on a 'flagship course'?

At the end of the day all you need (theoretically) is a piece of paper saying fATPL CPL/IR on it. As long as you train at an approved FTO it doesn't matter where you train. This way you could save 10's of thousands - literally.

I'm not going to lie to you, it's not going to be easy becuase you are a late starter. Most airlines seem to turn their noses up at very low houred pilots over 26.

Some rough stats for you, every year there about 400 pilot jobs going. Each year there are about 2,000 qualified pilots graduating (rough figures, but I believe I'm in the correct ball park).

Think long and hard before you make this enormous decision. But at the same time if you decide to take the plunge and you have perseverance you'll make it one day.

Good luck.