PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - - The Canberra - Unsafe in 1950, Still unsafe
Old 7th Sep 2004, 06:39
Tim Mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown Meteors in the 50s and Canberras in the 60s, I thought 2 Liter Peter was being a bit over the top when he suggested that the Canberra was/is inherently dangerous. He, and various others on this thread, have more hours on the type than I do, but during my 1000 odd hours, on the B2 with the old Avons, and the B15 with the slightly newer ones, I never had the problems others encountered.

I do remember that only the Sqn QFIs were allowed to do roller landings with the T4, because of the possibility of surge, particularly in a crosswind. I can't remember if we did rollers in the B15s.

There have been a wealth of very informative and well argued posts from Milt, Wheelbarrow, FV, Jackonicko, Beeayeate and others, and not least from 2 Litre Peter himself. I suppose that, in the end, while we have manned aeroplanes, we will have tragic accidents.

So far as this one is concerned, all is conjecture until the BoI publishes its findings, and makes recommendations for change or otherwise to training requirements. I imagine there will still be a need for a T4 on strength until the PR9s are replaced, if ever. Though in this day and age I am tending toward 2 Liter Peters point of view.