PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - effect of foreign pilots on the jobmarket?
Old 6th Sep 2004, 17:34
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 10pence worth

Just to qualify what im about to say.....I am about as PC as Tony Blair is Honest.........

As a kiwi living in the UK....(and as of last wednesday a naturalised Brit) I have to take up a little of what flap60 has said and disagree with it. (oh and flaps 60 I read lots of your posts and 99 times out of a hundred I agree with you)

I myself having had several false starts to my career moved to the UK did the JAR conversion..then promptly landed a job, very lucky....and dont I know it. At no time however did I think that the UK was nirvana in respect of lifestyle, quality of life, and least of all weather! However I think I am worldly enough, and god forbid intelligent (ok so I can fly..but I can also spell..almost!) enough to understand the dynamics of this great business called aviation.
Sky toddler.. you are right...muppets with too much money, or access to money, or worse attitude and money are the REAL ruination of this industry..that goes for Brits..Ozzies..Kiwis..Europeans..the Irish..and anyone else ive not mentioned. The facts are Flaps60 that most of the people who actually go to the trouble of emmigrating....intergrating into a different society...imposing huge(1NZ dollar=.37pence)financial burdens on themselves just to get a basic qualification are the very people HR departments, Chief pilots, and Ops people want to employ. I know tommorrow that if I was compared against another individual of equal experience..the chances are that the decision would be based on that persons personality and percieved ability to fit in.....nothing more.
Yes there are times when money talks...and bull@"*t walks but in general, ability counts for a lot more than you seem to imply.

I can also honestly say Flaps60, that in my experience here in the UK the biggest threat to Brit pilots getting that first job...and I hate to say this......is themselves. Im not sure if its a symptom of modern British society, or just perhaps the many individuals I have crossed paths with; In my experience a vast majority seem unwilling to graft, unable to listen, show little or no respect for their peers, and some even expect success at the first hurdle. Now if all this sounds a bit like Brit bashing I apologise...im merely passing on my observations and opinions.....and for what its worth my Brit wife wants to emmigrate to Oz..(whatch out redsnail im gonna steal an Ozzies job!) but I would rather stay..cos I love the beer...!

Cheers

H