PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - effect of foreign pilots on the jobmarket?
Old 6th Sep 2004, 12:17
flaps to 60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs

You can of course lobby BALPA on the issue, but they are powerless to overturn legislation which is fundamental to the UK's membership of the EU - whether you like it or not!
I agree and because of the PC crowd and spineless government we have rules that are beyond liberal and very generous when it comes to looking after foreigners, but surely i pay my dues to Balpa to look after British Airline Pilots. Sruely there must be some sort of deal they can come up with to employ nationals first, even those willing to fund their ratings.

How is it that the number of foreign pilots in AF LH AZ etc etc are as good as zero and these airlines get away with it, flouting all EU rules.

Redsnail

I would like to see the number of British pilots in QF as i dont believe that it would number anything above 0.5% please prove me wrong.

I also seem to remember Ansett pilots going on strike in the late 80's and the mangement asking the world for crews and a/c. It would be interesting to see how many Brits they have employed on a permanent contract since.

And please, though you have been gracious in your lack of comment on living in this country, remind some of your fellow countrymen to show some respect to the indigenous population that have been good enough to offer them the job that their own country couldn't.

When it comes to the likes of EK and CX et al yes there are plenty of Brits, Kiwis and Aussies working for these organisations as the local population cannot supply enough pilots with this i have no problem.

As for FR again i cant complain as ther are plenty of British pilots working for them both here and in Ireland and its an Irish airline.

I hope Qantas doubles in size and needs all the Aussie pilots it can get. That should solve the unemployed pilot situation in this country.