PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are there any positives about qatar
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 14:39
Hajj Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wrote this in a post a long time ago:

This is not a good place to get a true feel for what Qatar Airways is like and what Doha is like to live in but I will try to see if I can give you a quick insight of what I have heard and seen from people working there.

Mixed emotions in Doha are plentyful and on this forum you will see that the negative out-weights the possitive so you will always get a tainted picture of Qatar Airways and Doha. As a matter of fact this is true on any chat session about any place of work as the disgruntel people write in and complain about EVERYTHING.

Doha form what i know is nice, and if you are a family person and bring your family with you to the State Of Qatar it is easier than if you are there alone. Many nice people from all sorts of cultures and flying back grounds there and you can make it a nice place to live and work if you want to or you can sit in your home and complain, its your choice.

There is the Dessert, Bar-b-que by the ocean, few night spots only in hotels, many choices of food to eat, ADSL fast internet if you want to be home, you can have a alcohol drink in the hotels and if you get a liquor permit you can buy booze and have in your home for those all night parties and bar-b-ques if you want. Only one place sells the Alcohol but there are plans to open more shops soon (soon could be ?????) a 4x4 vehicle or boat are good idea to get if you go there to live as the dessert or the ocean are the only two place to get away from Doha for a quick day out trip to relax. you could go to Dubai or Bahrain also but that means going on an airplane again.

Depending on what aircraft you are hired on and what seat you are in will kind of determine how hard you work and what kind of time off you get and where you go. Depending on how long you have been in Aviation you will also know that this will change as time goes on, you might join on a hard working fleet now but next year that fleet might be the easy fleet, you get my drift right? I am not sure what background you have but the work here seems to keep you on the road out of Doha a good bit anyway.

All in all, a job and a place are what you make of it so if you decide to go to Qatar and join the airline go with your eyes and ears open and see if that is for you. one key factor is to NOT keep comparing it to your old airline or your old home, you will always find things you don't like about a job and a place but comparing it to home and other places you have lived, IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

Good luck and if you go, ENJOY IT!!!

Hajj Man