PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 10:15
south coast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have just read this whole topic from the beginning and it is very interesting to read the different biases.

i could not find a job as a low time pilot in the uk, so ventured to africa and have been flying here for 3 years gaining experience in the contract world.
what i find amazing in the uk is the fact that the pilot who has just completed his/her cpl/ir/me feels it his/her RIGHT to have their first job on a boeing or airbus.
is general aviation, flight instructing or the contract world below them these days.
i think gaining some 'flying experience' outside of 'pushing buttons' would be of great value and if everyone did their 1000 hour apprenticeship on the bottom rung of the ladder then there may not be a need for 200 hour pilots to buy themselves a complex type rating with line experience.

just a thought, and i dont want to sound out of line here, but from a captains point of view, if you took away the qualified f/o who is sitting in the jump seat for the line training, does he consider the 200 hour newly rated pilot capable of dealing with any situation.

i just think back to when i had 200 hours, major failure on a boeing/airbus....? not sure.