PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - - The Canberra - Unsafe in 1950, Still unsafe
Old 5th Sep 2004, 09:10
keithl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D96 - My info 15 years out of date, but doubt if it's changed much. When I instructed on them we used to demo the effect of asymmetric power at a low speed at the sort of safe height you suggest. It was sobering to see how quickly the thing would roll.

Although it doesn't affect your suggestion, on one engine you are committed at 600 ft and your ILS DH would be increased accordingly. That also is a measure of how careful you have to be going around on one engine. .

But you know how different a real approach is over the ground, with drift changes, minor corrections etc. That has to be practiced on a real approach, I'm afraid. That's just background for you - I don't suggest it has any bearing on this accident.

For the Mods - I like Milt's suggestion of two threads, one Condolences and one Tech Speculation. You're not going to stop pilots speculating about crashes, it doesn't mean they're unfeeling, it means they need to try and understand what happened. That's quite different from uninformed and damaging press speculation, which angers me, too.

When the Nimrod crashed in Toronto, one of the first things I did was get in the simulator and start speculating with it. I had to - because I couldn't just shrug it off and say "Ho hum, I'll just wait for the BoI". For the more sensitive posters here - it's actually a form of caring.