PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - - The Canberra - Unsafe in 1950, Still unsafe
Old 4th Sep 2004, 21:11
Bof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with keithl, Flatus and M.Mouse re public grief.
On the question of Canberra safety record versus more modern aircraft, I wouldn't think the Tornado would come anywhere near it, although clearly asymmetric isn't such a problem nowadays.

In times of yore, on the Meteor as FV will testify, you had it drummed into you that anywhere close to the ground, you never let the speed get below around 125 if you were on one donk (until committed to land) and on T/O you got up to 125 a bit smartish. This of course was after the dreadful early history of asymmetric crashes during traing at places like Driffield, where one or two a month were common and invariably fatal. In squadron service the message slowly sunk in. Of course the T7 and all the NF variants had no bang seats, but I don't think we lost more than a couple due to asymmetric problems from the two NF squadrons(about 32 aircraft) at my base during a three year period

There again in 1967 when we got the C-130s, during training we used to shut down engines on T/O all the time in asymmetric training until we lost two with fatal results. The edict came out that thou shalt not stop engines for real on T/O when training.

The amazing thing was nobody had really thought of banning it before. Finally, perhaps someone could confirm/deny the apocryphal story that used to go the rounds about the Canberra doing asymmetric training with one throttled back, when on finals the pilot suddenly became aware of a long plastic nav rule sliding up from the rear and nudging the dead throttle up!