PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS
Thread: LEEDS
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2004, 18:26
Leodis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow closed?????

KAT TOO....

You have not done your research here have you?

I Don't even need to research to know that Newcastle and Teesside have been snow-closed before for a substantial amount of time. Mentioning London Luton airport even Luton was snow-closed a couple of years since. Easyjet went ballistic and wanted to fine London Luton airport, having cancelled at least a whole days worth of flights.

Leeds has had one occasion that I can remember when it had been closed for more than 24 hours, the snow had been falling as wet snow. After multiple sweaps of the runway the serface started to become compacted, this followed by the falling of dry snow led to the freezing of the previous compacted wet snow. This is most unusual in this country. Normally snow in this contry just falls as wet snow followed by a thaw, not followed by dry snow.

So a combination of bad luck and maybe poor planning, the weather got the better of them. With DSA only having a token amount of flights to start with, DSA even if Peel can afford all the very latest snow clearing equiptment, I doubt that they will be able to support enough staff to operate such a large scale operation. This unless they're going to hire the cleaners to do the work!

Leeds' only 682 AMSL, not exactly a great hight is it, maybe by British standards but thats all?