PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2004, 23:28
StudentInDebt

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Choices, choices

2 Wings

If I was an airline recruiter for a regional airline without 737s and the type not mentioned in c) then I would choose b) because he/she is less likely to disappear after 6 months when a better job offer on his/her type comes along. Indeed he will probably be so grateful for a job that he will remain with the company for the duration of his bond and may stick around long enough to be considered for command in which case his decision making skills under pressure from the, usually, single pilot world of GA may well benefit my company.

Why do airlines offer sponsorships when there are so many unemployed pilots out there? Because they want to be able to obtain a workforce that, in all probability, will demonstrate a large degree of loyalty to the sponsoring airline while being contractually and financially obliged to remain in the airlines' employ for a long time (in airline employment terms). They also get to ensure that the training of said future pilots is in keeping with their standards, they can claim back the cost of the training (possibly the full value against profits rather than just the VAT, I'm not an accountant) and they can use the scheme to a certain extent to control their demographics. Such schemes have always only been available to the select, lucky few hence the resentment that built up against them whilst their peers were seeking employment. How much resentment do you think is building inside and outside the airlines against those who pay for the privilige of line training and to a lesser extent a type rating? Why does having the cash to complete a speculative type rating course make someone more deserving of a job than someone who cannot afford it?

If every wannabe with cash stopped undertaking to pay for type ratings tomorrow and made it clear they would only accept a job if the company paid then you would see a massive change in recruitment policy overnight (well maybe Monday, it is a weekend afterall) and funnily enough - if they wanted to survive - they would pay for it. Sadly, there are a sizable minority who are intent on paying and making it difficult for the majority.

Last edited by StudentInDebt; 4th Sep 2004 at 00:00.