PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - - The Canberra - Unsafe in 1950, Still unsafe
Old 3rd Sep 2004, 20:11
wheelbarrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milt, before you start speculating on what may have occured take a little time to think! You comment on inexperienced crew being unaware of the Canberra's asymmetric ahndling was far off. One of the pilots was an old colleague of mine, he began flying the canberra in @ 1989.

All canberra crew practised regularly for an engine failure, in fact the statistics show that more died practising than in the real case. Due to the nature of the role the curent canberra pilots are all very experienced on type.

In future save your speculation for the stock market.

In answer to another post; a survey was prepared on refitting the canberra with Zero / Zero seats but as usual the cost was felt to be too much, I hope the person who came out with that felt the two lives that were lost were worth it, they both ejected but due to the antiquated seat did not get out within the seat's boundaries.

I suspect that this may be the end of the canberra, it led a wonderful life but it's about time that it went to a museum.

Rest in peace to the 2 that died.