PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 10:19
flaps to 60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs

Old chap you have taken me wrongly or i have not stated my position clearly either way I would not support someone who wants to work for free, paid for rating or not.

But i would whole heartedly recommend a type rating and line experience paid for by an individual. You work for the hours you have paid for then move on as in the aforementioned SSTR.

Not good enough, I'm afraid. Just imagine if the same principle was to be exercised at McDonald's, or on the railways, or in the Police Force? People queuing up for jobs without pay? The various employers would be laughing - until the incumbent work forces said 'over our dead bodies!'. Such practises undermine the rights of those already in employment, and will not be accepted by any workforce - the aviation one is no different.
Disagree

This industry is different all the other jobs and most that i can think of pay for your training.

Cadetship excepting (even though your wages are lower for 5 years) we have all paid to get to where we are.

Medicals, PPL's CPL's, Exam Fees, Recurrency Training, Instrument Ratings, Instructor Ratings........Type Ratings we have paid all along the line. So why not pay to get where you want to.

Waiting around for the industry to turn your way, be aware may take some time. Time in which your skills are deminishing, You have taken a few sim rides to keep in touch or appeal to an airline, Your IR has had to be renewed several times, your medicals have to be paid for by you. It all costs so what is wrong with putting yourself at the top of the CV pile.

Once again in state catergoricaly that i do not agree with working for free and i hate FR's approach as well which i luckily escaped by being told no we dont want to employ you.......Thanks DD and MOLLY.

PUDDEN CHIEF (hail to the green one)

Im sorry i didn't reply i was off on my yearly thrashing in the sim for a couple of days and lost the plot for a while. My head is now sort of recovered.

To your points:-

1) I agree but you said it yourself its a commercial organisation and it has a responsility to its employees and its share holders (this bit i have stated on other threads is now the be all and end all of a companies policy and has gone to far as in FR et al). In my mind a company should pay for your TR but like the early 80's people dont like change and the industry is changing regardless of what we think so we have to adapt.

2) If my assumptions are correct the company insures the airframe and the stipulations are that it is crewed by a qualified and current crew with perhaps a minimum experience level for the crew in question. This is why many jobs ask for an ATPL or a 1000hrs of experience etc. As far as i am aware it has nothing to do with how you got your rating.

3) I had looked very seriously in to paying for an eaglejet course on a 737NG with 200hrs line experience. After that i would have been on the open market. As it happens i got lucky and ended up with my company paying for all my conversion costs but i stress it was no more than luck and having a mate on the inside pushing my cause (he's had a few hang overs at my happy expense). Had i not got this job then i reckon i woukld have found the money somewhere to do the 737 course.

4) No i would be having a canary plus they would have to have a very good lawyer as there are laws preventing that. Plus even though i dont like them i have Balpa for what they're worth.

Sorry for the pious comment the last time as it seems to have offended you. It was meant to convey they feeling of why do people say " i refuse to pay for a rating when the airline should be paying for me". We are all responsible for our own actions and how and when we get a job.

where is your line in the sand? At what point do you think “this really isn’t worth it?” Or in simple financial terms, when does the expenditure in ‘buying the ticket’ exceed the eventual rewards?
Im off now to experience my rewards for 4 sectors and i have yet to cross that line in the sand and in purely financial terms i would pay a hell of a lot more than the £65,000 i have already to see what i do every day.

Scroggs

Didnt your airline recently advertise for type rated A340-500/600 chaps is the bearded one not saving money doing this in order to pay for his increase in costs ie fuel and wages etc. It seems its spreading all the way to the top.