PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 08:48
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps to 60,

Before I go any further I want to point out that I appreciate your point of view and to an extent can understand what you are saying, both here and on other threads that have run about self sponsored type ratings, but there are still some significant issues that need to be addressed namely:

Just in case you think I am being too pious, the sickness is spreading beyond first job pay for your own type ratings:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Position:
    B747 Type Rating / First Officer Programme

Experience/ Skills:
    1500 Hours jet experience

Details:
    P*** Aviation, in association with a leading international airline, are pleased to offer First Officers the opportunity to gain a type rating, and fly the B747-400.

In this unique programme, P***offer you the chance to self-sponsor a type rating for the Boeing 747-400 aircraft. Upon successfully gaining this type rating, we will then offer a one year contract as First Officer, flying intercontinental routes. Upon completion of this year, P*** Aviation will, using our position as the biggest flight crew leasing company in the world, endeavour to find further assignments for you.

Interested applicants should have the following minimum requirements:

- JAR Licence
    - Class 1 JAR Medical
    - EU Passport
    - Minimum 2500 hours total time including 1500 hours on jet aircraft.
    - Candidates with minimum 3000 hours TurboProp 'Glass Cockpit' experience may also be considered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This scheme means you have to provide a bank guarantee of €32,000 (so if you dont make the grade you have no job and a whopping big loan to service) plus if you do make the grade the agency will deduct €2667 per month from your €4000 per month salary for a year, you have to organise your own transport to a hotel down route which you have to organise and pay for yourself plus it is up to the paying flightcrew to look after tax and social security payments (which is based on your €4000 p/m salary). The entry requirments for this scheme are exactly the same as those for the "host" airline.

As G-SXTY very astutely put it:
    where is your line in the sand? At what point do you think “this really isn’t worth it?” Or in simple financial terms, when does the expenditure in ‘buying the ticket’ exceed the eventual rewards?