PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight: Simple question... tricky answer?
Old 1st Sep 2004, 17:47
Halfbaked_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey FD, how're things?

I think the reason he is saying this is because the prescription he received stating the above was, perhaps 6 months ago, maybe a year, you'd have to ask him, and he's worried his eyesight may have deteriorated still.

Anyway, I've spoken to him, and for now I'm going to concentrate on going solo, then I'll start thinking about getting a class one; there's no point in worrying myself because after him and I have read extensively on the subject we have found out that if we do indeed meet the renewal standards then we can have issued what's known as a 'deviation' on our medical, which will be removed once we have completed professional training at an adequate level, that is, a certain percentage.

I have had the Class 2 so I'm 99.9% sure there is nothing wrong with my insides, and I have never had an epileptic fit so it honestly is purely the optical side of the medical I am concerned about.

As Karl said, I do have very very scratchy alternatives to flying, but to be quite honest, I've studied ATPL level flying for the past three years so I'm not prepared to give up without a word in. I could understand 'all very well', err, 'think about another career' if I hadn't invested the time (not money, but time) so far I have into a career into aviation.

The thing is, my eyesight is 20/20 when I use both my eyes together. It is also 20/20 when I use my right eye on its own, but my vision is something like 20/100 with just my left eye itself.

It really is ridiculous in my opinion, to be perfectly honest. Obviously if my right eye was somehow damaged to the point of blindness during flight I would not be very useful, but if something happens so bad to an eye it renders it useless, you're already in a pretty ****** up situation.

Excuse my bitching, but I am a dedicated flyer, I enjoy what's a hobby now extensively and plan to an equally extensive level to change this hobby into a career in the future, so let's have some optimism. I think about realism enough in my own head, so if there are some optimistics among you, please do speak up. This is not to say that those who have replied are pessimists, not at all; you are being realistic, but I worry myself enough thinking about the real world that I do like to have bright-minded words around me when we come onto the subject of aviation.

I'm sorry for my droning, but I do take flying extremely seriously; I am always at my happiest when I am about to enter an aircraft, flying an aircraft, or walking away from an aircraft... even if I've just finished cleaning it!

But many thanks to all who have taken the time to reply and my regards,

Jack.