PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR20/22 - Was this a bad idea?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 16:19
Flight Safety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TerryB, from what research I've had time to do, it appears that the FAA is allowing a new design philosophy for GA aircraft in regard to spins.

The FAA is allowing new spin resistant designs to be approved, that incorporate leading edge changes to the wing (and sometimes multiple airfoil profiles along the wing), that cause the wingtips to stall at much higher angles of attack than the rest of the wing. The purpose is to keep the wing tips and the ailerons in unstalled airflow longer, to help prevent entry into a spin.

But this new philosophy simultaneously overlooks normal spin recovery features, when the new spin resistant features are incorporated into the new designs. So while these new aircraft designs are more spin resistant, they also don't appear to be very good at spin recovery once a spin is entered. From a quick search of the Internet, there also appears to be a fair amount of debate about whether this new design philosophy is good or not.

While I'm grateful for better spin resistance in these new aircraft designs, I'm not sure it's a good idea to simultaneously relax the design standards for spin recovery in these same designs (which include the Cirrus SR20/22s).