PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 09:32
onedaymaybe?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For years I have had pilots tell me, not to bow down to the course of buying a type rating, and for the so called good of aviation I did not do so....."Let them pay for it " they said...But they did not do so...I remained in my instrucing job waiting...Watching students ( yes younger ones I admit) going and getting the jobs that I had been told that I would oneday get...

Its all well and good, for the guys who have had their type ratings paid for by the airlines when aviation was in the good old days, but times have changed. And for someone in their late 30's still instructing, there is no future while trying to bring up a family of 2 children..On an instructors wage.

Yes aviation is picking up for the new ones, but I am not a 20's something new one. And with a family I needed to do something. If some Airline Captain who has had the airlines pay for his career so far does not like it, then let it be... but that will not look after my family..He is welcome to their opinion and I will not try to go into it with them...My decision to pay for a type rating is a personal one and my own alone..

I have recently paid for a type rating and have been offered more jobs and opportunities in 2 weeks than I did as a 3000 hour odd pilot, in 4 years. I am now endeavouring on a job that will not only give me 100's of hours of jet experience but, is also paying for me as well..(this is what will help me keep food on my families table)...

There are still companies out there who appreciate the efforts we have gone to to get our qualifications and ratings and show it.

It may not be a popular move with some people, but that is tough..

I can now look after my family properly for the first time in years and not look forward to a future of uncertainty. ...And it is my family not other pilots..that come first in my life...

Aviation is my work...Family is my life...