PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew meals - an employer obligation to staff and customers.
Old 31st Aug 2004, 08:45
Romeo Tango Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNO,
Sorry to have strayed somewhat from your original retort. To naswer it, I think you must weight the pros and cons of feeding a pilot FREE:
PRO:
1. It ensures a safety factor - an obligation I still believe the airline owes tech crew. Whether tech crew decide to partake is THEIR choice.
2. Cost is VERY low for a meal - even if it is a sandwich for pity's sake! Cost? Less than you think! And it need only be one. I am sure a $1.99 WITH INFLATION, GST, and seasonal adjustments sandwich isn't going to hurt the big bad airline!

Cons:
1. Yes, it costs the airline. So does bad advertising, bad safety, poor crew performance....

It was NEVER a problem pre-dispute, so why the problem now? Yes, I know the contrats and conditions changed MARKEDLY post-89, but... Penny pinching can only go so far!

You also mentioned the inability of a diabetic to hold an ATPL - that is correct. Now, consider that a diabetic is only dangerous when his/her blood sugar either rises or falls below a normal level (5-7 is normal). Now, a NORMAL non-diabetic who's blood sugar drops or raises significantly is ALSO JUST AS DANGEROUS! I know a LOT about diabetes - my sister is diabetic, and I grew up with it. Seeing someone drop in BGL's is something SCARY to watch, from going irrational and angry, to sweaty and uncontrollable, to full on near seizure. I once watched my sister convulse uncontrollably, cracking a front tooth, before we managed to jab a glucose shot into her.

Yes, shanges in BGL are both phsysiological and psychological - MAJOR effect on the chemistry of the mind!

Again, why should an airline pay for tech crew meals? SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY! Off duty or overnighting - WHO CARES - that's up to the employee, but ON DUTY - I believe it is an employer obligation!