PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 23:47
Vee One...Rotate

Super-Friendly Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole "this industry does not owe you a living" statement pops up every once in awhile...fair enough, there is some sense in it...but being disgusted/angry about being expected to pay large sums so someone will simply glance at your CV or pay huge sums to get a type rating and some hours on type is not the same thing as wanting an easy ride. Not even slightly. Especially bearing in mind many have made massive, sometimes almost crippling, financial sacrifices up until this point already.

In an ideal world, most airline's would carefully select their potential pilots, train them and treat them as an investment...the way most reputable companies do it. Of course, this doesn't happen in reality. Bugger. Okay then, we'll have to pay for our basic licence and training - not fun but fair enough. It's when you hear stories of airlines charging low-houred pilots to fly for them for 100 hours or so...with passengers onboard. Yes, the pilot PAYS to work for the company all day.

I understand the opinion that some people have that it's good to have the option to do things like this if, for example, someone really wants to get up and on the ladder quickly if there are family commitments etc. but I can't help thinking these practices simply further degrade Ts & Cs and the profession as a whole. The words foot, own and shoot come to mind...

All a bit worrying for a wannabe...

V1R

P.S.

Good post scroggs - I agree and am sliiiiightly more optimisitc things will be that bit better when these issues will directly affect me...of course, they could very easily be that bit worse as well.

V1R

Last edited by Vee One...Rotate; 31st Aug 2004 at 00:00.