PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS
Thread: LEEDS
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 21:33
wawkrk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a pity that some of the truly excellent postings have been lost with the deletion of LBA Greek summer programme.
But alas,maybe all this is a waste of time anyway.
When I think back over the years about the history of LBA management,I find it totally depressing.
My interest began as a teenager in the in the1960`s.The MD at the time I think was a guy named Sellers. He was an absolutely incompetent idiot when interviewed on TV.
Then in later years,we had a chairman who owned a Reliant Robin, lived in a council house, and spent most of his time in a local low life pub.Nothing wrong with this,but an aviation professional,I think not.
I campaigned for the 1986 runway extension,then later for 24hr flying. This all happened of course but years too late.
Looking at next years charter programme,Majorca for example has been reduced from 9 flights to 6, and no based aircraft from Thomsons,whilst Teeside has a based B738 and the so called joke airport Robin Hood gets a 757.
I cannot see any changes in the future unless the airport is privatised.It will be a miracle if excellent people like BMIfox can create any changes without radical alterations to the management structure and strategy.
It seems the airport is still stuck in a time warp and the current success with Jet2 is down to pure luck.No doubt the management team will dine out on this for several years to come.
wawkrk