PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines looking for pilots.
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 13:24
desert_knight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

You force me to keep this thread off topic for a little longer!

But to simply assume you can replace someone experienced when the machine and conditions are at their worst? I think not. Especially when it is your own life in question.
I never claimed to be able to do any such thing! I merly asserted that I felt I would be able to fly and land a transport aircraft - something I stand by.

There are those on this board with many years of experience that also would fail this test 'when the machine and conditions are at their worst' if called upon - many aircraft accidents (Kegworth for example) are testament to the fact that none of us will know how we will cope when in a given situation.

Ignition Override,

These are just a few simulator features which are brand new to me
Most of those are not at all difficult to simulate, we already have many of them available.
TCAS scenarios of different types available, conflicting traffic, runway incursions.
Weather can be made to do whatever the instructor wants at any time.
Windshears, microbursts, gusting winds - all available.
etc, etc.

Dogma,

I have never felt like calling for my Mother in a "simulator", I wish I could say the same about my years flying the Heavy Metal itself
Your fear of flying seems somewhat irrational, you are statistically far more likely to come to harm driving to the airport! Your skill as a pilot, combined with those who support you to get in the air, should keep you from serious harm.