PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Cancels a320?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2004, 21:31
jonathanm5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks 4HP and Gauteng Pilot!!

I have since read that SAA are cancelling, but they haven't advised Airbus yet (like Airbus doesn't read the news!!). When asked, Airbus said that as far as they are concerned the order is still current!!

Does anyone know if an order for so far ahead (2010) can be binding? If so what would the consequence to SAA be - do they just lose the deposit, or is it more serious.

I remember that when they failed to formally order 777's (for which deposits had been paid), Coleman Andrews got the deposits changed to the "white tail" 744's which were then purchased.

I guess that they now plan to keep the 738's even after the current lease expires.

The manner in which SAA chooses planes seems very haphazard. For my recollection they have made the following bloopers in the last few years;

1. ordered - and cancelled 777's
2. purchased white tail 744's (With GE engines despite RR on the rest of the 744 fleet)
3. sold A320's and leased 738's
4. replaced 738's with A320's and A319's (For fleet commonality)
5. cancelled A320's to keep 738's and A319's - Common fleet???
6. Rumours of selling 744's and buying A380's

These decisions and indecisions must have cost a fortune in lost deposits, hiring and firing staff, training and retraining staff, purchasing and selling simulators, purchase and sales of spares, etc

I GUESS THEY ALSO NEED SOME MECHANISM TO HEDGE PURCHASE DECISIONS AS WELL AS FUEL COSTS (THEIR MANAGEMENT SEEMS FAR MORE FICKLE THEN THE RAND/DOLLAR EXCHANGE RATE) - MAYBE A CLAUSE THAT SAYS IF THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND, THEIR MANAGEMENT OR ANY OTHER WHIM WHICH CAUSES THEM TO WANT DIFFERENT TOYS - THEY CAN TRANSFER THE ORDER TO THE COMPETITION'S PRODUCTS

This company changes management more often then the SA Cricket, Rugby and Soccer teams combined. I vote for Jake White as the next MD. If he can turn a undermotivated beauracratic and nepotistic mess like SA Rugby around, he can surely do it to a simple organisation like SAA!!!

So as to not offend 126.9, does anyone have any opinions or points of view which don't start a vicious and pointless rumour thereby causing an old MATE consternation!!!

Last edited by jonathanm5; 28th Aug 2004 at 22:10.