PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Training & Employment prospects
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2004, 16:52
Steve76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First.
You don't need a sponsor. You are under 30 and can get the 1 year work visa for visiting Aussies. Apply before you enter the country and tell them that you want to work in a ski resort or bar....not aviation. It is supposed to be for that kind of experience. Once you have it, nobody cares.

Second.
So some homework for your licence conversion. Goto the Transport Canada website and look into the conversion requirements in the regs. CAR's: Canadian Aviation Regulations.
You will need to do some IFR training.
Options for conversion are typically Helicollege: Expensive but experienced
PROIFR: Experienced but I don't know the costings....
Both are out of Vancouver area.

Third:
Finding work won't be an issue. But the question is what experience do you have? Have you been round and round the rock, tours on the coast, remote area mustering.....?
Don't go somewhere with only city experience and bull**** your way into a remote area sling job. You will up and ruin the good kiwi/aussie reputation around here. Be frank about your work experience and work hard. If you do a good season, you will probably be sponsored for next year.

Options for starter possies are:
Airborne Energy - Whitecourt Alberta: love aussies and kiwis. Will employ you. Work is in the gas patch. Pretty easy with some longlining if you check out and the chance of fire work if you have time... you will work an R44 and B206. Possibly Astar.
Baily Helicopters in Fort St John: Same as above.

Various operators in Quebec. Quebec is going off next year (apparently...) with 60+ helo's predicted on the new hydro work there. Practice your french and be prepared to meet some of the world's most gorgeous wimmen....

I have a friend coming over next year and will be helping him with the conversion costs. Vancouver is quite expensive and I am seeing if he can do it cheaper with a friend of mine out east. Sets him nicely for work in Quebec. You need to be in country to convert on Feb 01 at the latest...
Intakes are around April.