PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eyesight: Simple question... tricky answer?
Old 28th Aug 2004, 01:26
Halfbaked_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyesight: Simple question... tricky answer?

Hello there,

I am currently 15 and training for my Private Pilot's License and the plans currently are what most aspiring pilots set out. As we know if we've studied the Class 1 requirments, correction must not exceed +- 5 dioptres, and astismatism and myopia must not exceed 2 dioptres for the initial examination.
My question is this: my eyesight is -2 dioptres and +0.25 dioptres, which puts me well within the limits in terms of correction, and I have no astigmatism, but as is observable I am .25 of a dioptre (!) outside the myopia limits.
To further this question and perhaps refresh some of you, the requirments for the actual renewal of a Class 1 ups the myopia limit (that is, the differential in dioptres between the eyes) to 3 dioptres.
I am positive I read somewhere once that if you do not fulfil the requirments for a Class 1 initial but do for the Class 1 renewal then so long as you can satisfy the CAA AME that your eyesight is acceptable you may still be issued with a medical.
My case is rather unique; the reason (or so I understand) for the myopia limit is because the larger the differential is in dioptres between your eyes, supposedly the less effective your brain is to process depth perception, although upon questioning my optician about this I was told (following a few tests) my depth perception was excellent!

So, I suppose my real question is; in terms of 'optics', what options do I have open to me?

My instructor has advised me to attain my Class 1 as soon as possible so I at least fulfil the initial requirments, and then if my eyes do worsen I can cross the bridge when it comes to that in terms of renewals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and rgrds,

Jack.