PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines looking for pilots.
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2004, 00:20
TheNightOwl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At risk of incurring the wrath of those opposed to thread creep, may I indulge myself a little longer in order to reply to desert-knight's arrogance.
I have to agree with the bulk of your post, and add that, just as you cannot fully understand the ramifications of all that happens in the air, no pilot fully understands the complexity of the modern FFS. The point surely is that NEITHER of you NEEDS complete understanding of the other's occupation in order to carry out your own. I loved what I did, and had no desire to be a full-time pilot, all the flying I wish to do is to get me from A to B, safely, on the rare occasion that I wish to travel.
What I find arrogant about your post is your dismissal of my experience in your comment "...these devices are a far cry from the type you refer to". Apart from my RAF experience on Phantom/Harrier/Jaguar, since I came to Oz I have been trained and employed on the following FFSs: B727/B737/B767/A320/BAe146/SAAB340/METRO and CRJ, hardly worthy of your dismissive tones! I, like yourself, am experienced in the rectification of FFS, and also, as a Shift Controller, had responsibility for the running of Fidelity Checks as well as the interpretation of the results.
No pilot could step in and do your job, in all truth I can't imagine any pilot even attempting it! On the other side of the same coin, I do NOT believe that your experience in simulation has fitted you for a job as a pilot, there is a world of difference in being at FL410 when the world turns to s**t, and being in a simulator with the knowledge that all you have to do is press the "T/O RESET" button and all is well again, with NO threat to yourself or passengers reliant on your skills. BULL****, my friend - stay where you are and enjoy what you do.
The argument about whether pilots' work is tough, and whether they are underpaid is better left to those really in the know!

Edited for spelling!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.