PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emerald latest??
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2004, 21:34
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germstone,
You speak a lot of truth there but would you really expect any Chief Executive to come here to discuss matters with his staff?

I would add however that the 4 complaints you have listed are somewhat commonplace within the industry. I'm not suggesting that every airline operates this way, just that such practices are not unusual.

The difference in your situation however is that rather than get a pat on the back, you get a slap on the head and driven into the ground more than you were previously.

Look on the bright side though, you're probably using Emerald as a stepping-stone in your career, things should get better!

I've read a lot about being rostered into discretion. Such a practice is illegal but so is the practice of those Captains who have other jobs and don't declare their duty hours in accumulation with their flying duties.

It's a long time since I've read CAP371 but I recall it clearly stating to the effect that ALL duty hours shall be recorded and rest periods / days off shall be free of ALL duties. Whilst this is no excuse for rostering into discretion it does show that some, I repeat some. individuals only choose to quote the regulations when it suits them.

These particular individuals would be operating illegally, probably, on a daily basis if they're not utilising their rest periods etc. as per CAP371.

Not taking anything away from yourself though Germstone, yours was a pretty accurate post.