PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines looking for pilots.
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2004, 07:00
TheNightOwl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not pilots who need to be told the sim is not an aeroplane, Kap, it's the CC's doing the checking. For too long in my 41 years in aviation I watched simulators being used as "traps" instead of the high-tech learning-tool they were designed to be. This attitude was VERY prevalent in the military world, but I also found it to a slightly lesser degree in civilian life. Yes, I can fly a sim, very well as it happens, but there is no way I'd consider taking a big Boeing or Airbus aloft without the level of training I've seen Tech. Crews go through. I used to be able to fly Phantom/Harrier/Jaguar sims as well, but the idea of flying the aeroplane is laughable. They are training aids, nothing more, although very valuable tools when properly used.
I haven't read ALL the previous posts, but I'm here to tell you that ANYONE who believes that his experience as a Simtech qualifies him to the same degree as an ATPL pilot has his head up his fundamental orifice! What he/she will have is a better understanding of what is happening in a sim at any given time, since he/she will have been instrumental in programming the thing, but that knowledge does NOT translate automatically into manual skills in the air! Having said that, I must tell you that a question I was repeatedly asked by visitors was "would you manage to get the aircraft down if something happened to the pilots"? My answer was invariably "I'd have a better chance of a safe landing then you, since I know the aircraft systems better than you"!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.