PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines looking for pilots.
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2004, 05:58
Pontius P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
desert_knight, I've been a pilot for 40 years, and I agree that we have too many whingers amongst our ranks. Having said that, there are many more that enjoy what they are doing, and seldom complain (at least, not in public). I think that many have unrealistic expectations about what the job entails when they start, and are then disappointed when they discover otherwise.
By the way, if you can find a coach that carries over 350 people, please let me know. Perhaps those who drive it also have 2 medicals, 16 hours in a simulator, and a line check every year. They may also have a few hours of first aid, technical refreshers, emergencies, CRM etc. but somehow I doubt it. If our jobs are comparable, why do we need a blood/alcohol limit 4 times lower than theirs?
The comment that "Airline Pilots are given corporate asset responsibility to the extent that their actions and failings alone would bring down even the largest of listed companies" says it all, I think. Perhaps if a few more company MDs realised this, and treated their pilots accordingly, there might be a few less whingers.