PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew meals - an employer obligation to staff and customers.
Old 26th Aug 2004, 04:01
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Does your flight attendent get lunch? Does the Loader get lunch. Does the check in person get lunch. Do the engineers get lunch.
I wasn`t aware that any of those people had the ultimate responsibility for the safe control of the aircraft and the safety its occupants in flight.

Loaders, check-in personnel, and engineers (except F/E`s) are all ground jobs, meaning they have access, AT ALL TIMES, to facilities such as staff canteens, cafeterias, convenience stores, etc.
Without demeaning their positions, if ANY of them get food poisoning, low blood sugar, or any other incapacitating illness, they are able to remove themselves from their workplace and not be a threat to the safety of the aircraft.
Similarly, a sick F/A is not an immediate threat to the safety of passengers.

"No" ys120fz, my employer has not taken away crew meals from the pilots. I believe that crew meals are an important issue for LCC employed pilots, and see that Tiger Airways (for example) has made up some feeble, bs excuse as to why they won`t be supplying their pilots with crew meals...and "No", I have not/am not made application to that mob.
I believe ths is a Safety issue - the cost of which would work out at only a couple of cents per pax.

From 5 yo L & R..."If you want lunch that bad then take your own." The hygene and storage standards that airline meals provide cannot be guaranteed to be met by the individuals - how safe is a chicken/fish/seafood meal prepared at home some 12 hours earlier going to be?

Crew meals, like other safety items onboard an aircraft are the responsibility of the employer, imo.