PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is CTC the only way forward??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2004, 17:24
BoraBora007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just quite happily reading this thread when I come across the most amazing post, by "skid" on page 3 of this thread were he states:

first, you don't need to be particularly bright or talented to become an airline pilot. These days it is little more than a higher level computer operators job
I was once told that the BA selection procedure weeded out overly intelligent candidates as their boredom threshold would be too low to spend years in the job.
to qualify as an airline pilot all you have to do is keep throwing money at the problem and you'll end up with all the right qualifications and ratings to get the job
Now I have seen a number of stupid posts on prune, but this takes the biscuit, I cannot possibly describe how stupid it is, I dont have the patience, but a few points:

Firstly, being an airline pilot is a lot more than a computer operators job. What if the computer breaks at 30,000ft, what if you have a mechanical failure? What about the responsibilty?

Does a computer operator have to think about these problems/issues?

As for the BA selection procedure weeding out overly intelligent candidates - that is I swear the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in my life. Not to mention the most patronising.

What about throwing money at the problem? - I suppose personality, teamworking and communication skills aren't required?

Skid you are officially a geek with no clue.