PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How desirable is the 'job' (jet airline pilot) these days?
Old 22nd Aug 2004, 16:39
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

As has already been pointed out, the status and conditions of all professions has taken a downwards lurch in recent years, not just in airline flying.

I fly GA aircraft for business and fun, but my profession is in oil exploration. Here's part of my itinerary for a business trip:

Check in for at LHR for flight to Mexico City via Washington DC. Bumped off flight. Rebooked on other flight. Flight cancelled. Rebooked via Chicago. Lengthy delays in grossly overcrowded T3. Arrive Chicago. Attempt to check in for Mexico. Ticket is for wrong flight, have to rebook. Wait 8 hours in terminal until 2am departure time. Only food available is of vile junk variety. Flight delayed by snowstorm. Eventually arrive in MEX in early morning. Rush to domestic check-in. Miss onward connection due to late arrival. Lug suitcase miles down terminal hall (7500 ft altitude taking its toll) to Mexicana booking office. Get some Spanish practice trying to rebook flight with clerk who has little English. Eventually arrive at destination hours late, not a minute's sleep all night. Boss none too pleased at late arrival, demands I produce complex technical report right now. Finish report 8 hours later, completely knackered. Boss wants business dinner...etc...etc...

Of course, all the flying was in economy class and company is too mean to pay for business class. I haven't had a business class seat for the last 10 years. (bean counters don't approve)

All this, in an industry that is awash with cash.

I know the aviation industry well enough and hear stories from airline pilot friends to know just how stressful professional flying can be. And I'm fully aware how salaries and conditions in the airline industry have deteriorated in recent years. But it's a similar story in most industries for professionals of all backgrounds. Basically, we're just a commodity to be bought at the lowest possible price.

Even so, do I wish I made a career change to professional flying when I had the chance about 20 years ago? Yes, definately yes.