PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Song and dance over 'ageist' Virgin
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2004, 05:37
Ralph the Bong

Kaptin M, I'll leave it to others to decide whether or not my post regarding VB was a rant. As for your comment that I was "off the mark" regarding selection of airline staff and their potential contribution to safety culture, you are historically incorrect. In regards to cabin crew alone, many airlines in the US were ONLY recruiting applicants who were qualified nurses as far back as the 1930s'. This was not a regulatory requirement, it was an initiative brought about by the companies off their own bat.

My comments about VB noted? By who? By VB? What are they going to do? Not offer me a job? Send a hit-man? Who cares? I am very happy where I am and have far better prospects for the future than what VB could offer. I note that you aren't working there either. There are much better options than Virgin for experienced crew, aren't there?

As for being conservative in my approach to flying, I make not appology for this. I also expect my co-workers in the industry to be conservative in their attitudes towards work. If you are a pilot interested in safety, good on you; so am I. Involving pax in saftey demos whilst making jokes is not conducive to effectively communicating the content of the briefing. I doubt that many pax could take in what they were being told as the Purser/Senior/Whatever was too busy acting the clown and making people laugh.

Incidently M, postings on Jet Blast are not meant to be taken entirely seriously. That's what it's there for. Funny how many people agreed with what I said tho. Including you on occasion. The thread was commenced at a low point in my life when I felt like venting some steam. As for calling me mysogynist, who is it that has an inflight magazine entitled 'Voyeur'?

RTA, I would say that the vast majority of ex-AN people don't hold DJ responsible for ANs' downfall. I am certainly not one of them and I cant recall speaking with anyone who expressed such an opinion. I understand that VB has built up a huge mythology based around Ansett, its staff and the reasons for its downfall. None of what I have heard in this regard is very accurate.