PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Song and dance over 'ageist' Virgin
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 11:17
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that sounds like an interesting piece of gossip! Care to follow it up?

I don't often agree with Amos, who doesn't often agree with Ralph, with whom I have crossed swords in the past, but we appear to be reluctantly occupying a piece of the same side of the argument. Thank God air-hag is on the other side making his usual witless posts.

I agree entirely with Ralph on the whole false bonhomie crap that Virgin FA's go on with, it's embarrassing and demeaning to all over the age of 25 who don't spend their waking hours texting.

I lay my sexist credentials on the line by admitting, before somebody else dobs me in, that I waxed apoplectic in these pages about a particular Virgin FA's fantastic posterior, positioned as it was at my eye level while she said whatever she said in the briefing. But I could also point to many posts where I abhor the world's obsession with appearance, and I would prefer class to arse most times. As Gaunty said, that tends to come with maturity, and Ms Stewart as photographed does more for me than most young bimbos.

Let's see now;

1. For Virgin to deny their employment decisions are based largely on physical appearance is laughable.

2. This is now against the law. Whether you believe that is a good thing is simply a personal preference based on ideology. Should wheelchair-bound applicants for FA positions be treated without discrimination?

3. Producing one 53 year old FA as proof of their supposed even-handedness, together with suggesting they reject more under 35's than over 35's is an abuse of statistics that a schoolchild could destroy. Only a PR spin doctor could quote that with a straight face. (Or a lawyer.)

It`s a sad day when an employer can`t choose whom he wants working for him.
On balance I agree with Kaptin M. If you're paying the bills it's hard to justify how anybody can tell you whom you can or can't employ. But that's an another argument altogether. Isn't it? It certainly doesn't make Kapt M a nazi.

5. Virgin are there to make money. If Branson's idea of making more money involves young gorgeous airheads do we have a right to stop him? If you don't like it, don't fly with them.

6. What bloody side am I on here? I have no idea! Let the market decide. As long as I never have to agree with air-hag, I'll sleep OK.