PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Song and dance over 'ageist' Virgin
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2004, 03:24
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

It appears to me, that these ladies can`t really decide why they failed to gain selection for entry into VB - the "excuses" have ranged from "not being able to do a sing and dance routine......not being blonde and leggy...and too old".

So "age" being considered the most likelyto carry any weight, is the one that`s been decided upon.

Many pilots who have been successful in holding employment positions with major airlines, have likewise been amazed at the selection process another carrier uses (eg. Emirates), and have wondered why they missed out on the selection process.

Are these ladies trying to say that ALL F/A`s in EVERY airline should be stereotypical of them, simply because they had long careers with Ansett?
if there ever was an emergency, I think I would rather have the "old boilers" in charge of any evacuation.
Quite a broad, sweeping statement, pm2. Several years ago, on an overnight stay in Osaka, I saw the (American) F/A whom, I was told, was the oldest one flying. Although she presented well, she was slightly stooped (onset of "Dowager`s Hump/osteoarthritis?), and walked with short, slow steps vs the rest of the crew, who walked with a sprightly step.
The thought that crossed my mind at the time was "It`s likely that she would require assistance, during any evacuation.".

An F/A`s position with an airline is #1 for Safety - age DOES affect performance, and the ability to perform physically.