PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford APP Training Loan
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2004, 09:05
fly-half

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Girl, if your boyfriend's dad is in recruitment for a major airline then you will be given a greater chance than many to get work through him as a pilot, provided of course that you pass the sim-assessment (and your ATPL studies).

I was integrated at Oxford, qualified exactly one year ago and, of the 14 on my course that left at that time only 3 have managed to obtain flying work with airlines! Each of them had been put forward by Oxford for assessment by the airlines involved. All were under the age of 22.

I had the time of my life working hard to achieve my life's ambition. I loved it but when I finished the course it really was like having the bubble burst after being sheltered in an environment protected from the harsh reality that it would be very very tough to find work. I was made to feel a failure for failing one of fourteen ground exams and partialling my IRT. The careers advisor told me to hide my date of birth in my CV. I'm only 28!

I am currently earning only £15K p.a. working in Operations on a temporary contract for a major airline, gaining excellent experience and of course getting a good foot in the door for a flying job. I'm single, with only about £10K of debt so I can afford this poor pay for now. I have been told by the chief pilot that I will be given an assessment in October to be taken on as a pilot over the winter if I pass. I am obviously very excited about this opportunity!

I suppose I have gone off on a tangent here but the point I would like to make is that it is very tough finding your first job and you need to be prepared to be 'in it for the long term'. I am beginning to wonder if the thing that really matters to pilot recruiters is not which FTO you qualified at or what grades you achieved, but what you have been doing with your time since qualifying.

Good luck and enjoy!