PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Having to pay for Type Ratings as well!
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2004, 21:02
BoraBora007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pudknocker - Im not an angry person.

Whether you get a job or not is not all about flying skills.

You get your fATPL - stage 1

In order to then get a job you need to be an excellent communicator in an interview, you also need to be able to demonstrate excellent teamworking skills.

Lots of guys I know who got fATPLS had no personality, were too quiet, or on the other hand were too loud and arrogant and talked a lot of rubbish. Even at my sponsorship selection I could pretty much tell who would get it and who wouldn't, just by sitting and talking with them for a while.

All these guys may have fATPLs - but if they give a poor interview or they cant communicate well or work in a team - they wont get a job. It's the same with university graduates. They may have a degree but that won't get them a job. Their CV, personality and attitude will. These HR airline people aren't going to pick the most technically proficient pilot (although that will obviously be assessed). They are looking at who they would like to work with and asking themselves: will this guy fit into our team?

I have always been an advocate of preparing your ass off for interviews, by going through mock interviews with family/mates, preparing answers for every question you might get asked, even on paper.

Going to a teamwork/interview skills trainer is maybe a good idea.

This is what will give you the edge over some other ATPL holder, not the training itself. That is almost secondary. Go to a slection day and play the game and be well prepared.

You do need to be good enough to pass a sim ride though!

As for guys who sit and mock peoples spelling on pprune (pubknocker) - thats the superior aura Im tlkin about. bawbag